Leigh Lowman, CFA, Investment Manager
On this week’s podcast (recorded October 12, 2018), Leigh provides a brief review of the third quarter markets.
- Risk assets were mixed for the third quarter with domestic equities outperforming international equities by a large margin.
- Despite what historically is a challenging quarter from a seasonality perspective, a strong macroeconomic backdrop triggered robust growth within US equities.
- The S&P 500 Index was up 7.2% for the quarter with all sectors posting positive returns and year-to-date is up 10.6%.
- Developed international equities, as measured by the MSCI EAFE Index, were up 1.4% for the quarter and down -1.0% year-to-date.
- The Bloomberg Barclays US Aggregate Index was flat for the quarter and down -1.6% year-to-date.
- We remain positive on risk assets over the intermediate term, although we acknowledge we are in the later innings of the bull market and the second half of the business cycle.
The views expressed are those of Brinker Capital and are not intended as investment advice or recommendation. For informational purposes only. Holdings are subject to change. Brinker Capital, Inc., a registered investment advisor.